COP28, the 28th annual United Nations climate conference, represents a pivotal moment for global climate action. This year will be a milestone moment as nations will take stock of progress made since the Paris Agreement.
Set to take place in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, from November 30 to December 12, 2023, COP28 aims to generate the implementation of ambitious climate goals, spanning mitigation, adaptation, finance, and global collaboration.
Our global team of experts will be contributing to the discussions, drawing on their expertise in transition finance, the energy transition, industry decarbonization, nature, and risk and resilience. Learn more about Oliver Wyman’s activities, and meet our experts on the ground.
December 4, 08:00—09:30 GST, Crowne Plaza Dubai Marina
Join the Oliver Wyman Forum and the 30% Club to explore the importance of taking a gender lens to climate action and tangible ways to do so.
- Annabel Spring, CEO, Global Private Banking and Wealth, HSBC
- Hanneke Smits, Senior EVP, Global Head of Investment Management, BNY Mellon
- Renee McGowan, CEO for India, Middle East and Africa, Marsh McLennan
- Rupal Kantaria, Partner, Oliver Wyman
- Zoisa North Bond, CEO of Octopus Energy Generation and Octopus Energy for Business
December 4, 15:00—16:00 GST, Greening Education Hub, Green Zone
Climate change is having a profound impact on global health. Extreme weather events, heat and water stress, as well as air pollution are exacerbating health issues and putting strain on healthcare systems that are already stretched to the limit.
Join Oliver Wyman and the World Economic Forum to explore innovative approaches and solutions to safeguard communities against the health impacts of climate change, ensuring a healthier and more resilient future for all. We will build on insights from our recent joint research quantifying the health outcomes triggered by climate change by 2050.
- Daniella Foster, Senior Vice President and Global Head of Public Affairs, Science & Sustainability, Bayer
- Farid Fezoua, Global Director Health and Education, International Finance Corporation, World Bank Group
- Dr Kamran Mirza, Chief of Staff, M42 Health
- Dr Oliver Eitelwein, Partner, Health and Life Sciences, Oliver Wyman
- Rolf Fricker, Partner, Health and Life Sciences, Oliver Wyman
- Shyam Bishen, Head, Centre for Health and Healthcare, World Economic Forum
December 5, 08:00—09:30 GST, Crowne Plaza Dubai Marina
The net zero transition is estimated to require additional investment of ~US$ 4trillion per year. What can banks do to scale transition finance while managing progress against net zero targets?
Join Oliver Wyman and the Net Zero Banking Alliance (NZBA) to explore how transition finance can be measured and scaled.
- Alex Liftman, Global Environmental Executive, Bank of America
- Eric Usher, Head, UNEP Financial Initiative
- James Close, Head of Climate Change, NatWest Group
- Luiz Amaral, Chief Executive Officer, SBTi
- Tim Colyer, Partner and Head of Climate and Sustainability, Asia Pacific, Oliver Wyman
- Tomo Ishikawa, Chief Regulatory Engagement Officer, MUFG
December 5, 12:00—13:00 GST, Extreme Hangout Tent, Green Zone
Join the Oliver Wyman Forum to assess the influential role of GenZers in the fight against climate change, bringing together Gen Z, industry leaders and change makers.
- Ana Kreacic, Partner, Chief Operating Officer, Oliver Wyman Forum
- Anas Bukhash, Entrepreneur and Interviewer
- Juliet Davenport, Founder and Former CEO, Good Energy
- Kelvin Massingham, Director, Risk and Resilience, FSD Africa
- Razan Bashiti, Chief Executive Officer, INJAZ UAE
- Saeed Alremeithi, UNICEF Youth Advocate and Co-Founder, The Organic Farm
December 5, 15:00—16:00 GST, Greening Education Hub, Green Zone
We are more than halfway through the critical period between the 2015 Paris Agreement and 2030, the agreement’s target year for halving global emissions, and emissions are still rising. Clearly, we need to scale up.
Join Oliver Wyman and Climate Group to explore how we can move from incremental “business as usual” moves to deliver climate action at the scale and pace we need today.
- Helen Clarkson, Chief Executive Officer, Climate Group
- Karen Pflug, Chief Sustainability Officer, Ingka Group
- Renae Kezar, VP, ESG, Sustainability, Regulatory Affairs, JCI
- Simon Glynn, former Partner, Oliver Wyman
- Thomas Becker, Head of Sustainability and Mobility, BMW
December 5, 16:00—17:00 GST, Masdar Pavilion, Green Zone
Steel, aluminum, and mining collectively contribute around 12% of global emissions. These materials are critical in today’s economy and necessary to achieve the low-carbon economy of tomorrow. However, the industry must first overcome significant capital, regulatory, and supply chain challenges. Meeting net-zero targets will require cross-industry collaboration and bold strategies.
Join Oliver Wyman and Masdar to explore strategies for accelerating industrial decarbonization to meet our net-zero goals. We will build on real-world examples from industry leaders and pioneers.
- Nick Studer, Chief Executive Officer, Oliver Wyman
- Nikolas Meitanis, Executive Director, Strategy & Corporate Development, Masdar
- Salman Dawood Abdulla, Executive Vice President ESG & Sustainability, EGA
December 6, 16:00 — 17:00 GST, Greening Education Hub, Green Zone
Putting nature first is good for business and economic resilience. According to recent research by the World Economic Forum, nature-positive solutions have the potential to generate US$10 trillion in business opportunities.
Join Oliver Wyman and the World Economic Forum to discuss how businesses are capturing new nature-related opportunities. We will draw on our latest research, identifying sector-specific priority actions to reduce impacts and unlock nature-related opportunities.
- Cédric De Meeûs, Head of Public Affairs & Government Relations, Holcim
- Jack Hurd, Executive Director, Tropical Forest Alliance, Member of the Executive Committee, World Economic Forum
- Johnny Ayoub, Partner and Head of Climate and Sustainability, IMEA, Oliver Wyman
- Justine Bolton, Environmental Sustainability Manager, FirstRand
- Oliver Withers, Head of Biodiversity, Standard Chartered Bank
- Richard Mattison, Vice Chair, S&P Global Sustainable1
Live At COP28
Nick Studer and Adel Alfalasi discuss expectations of COP28
Meet The Leadership Team
Nick Studer President and CEO
Adel Alfalasi Partner, United Arab Emirates Head
James Davis Partner, Corporate and Institutional Banking, Co-head of Climate and Sustainability, Europe
Jennifer Tsim Partner, Corporate and Institutional Banking, Digital, Head of Climate and Sustainability, UK&I
John T. Colas Partner and Vice Chairman, Financial Services Americas, Global Co-head of Climate and Sustainability
Johnny Ayoub Partner and Head of Energy and Natural Resources, Climate and Sustainability, IMEA
Rupal Kantaria Partner, Oliver Wyman Forum, Climate and Sustainability
Thomas Fritz Partner, Energy and Natural Resources, Co-head of Climate and Sustainability, Europe
Tim Colyer Partner and Head of Climate and Sustainability, Asia Pacific
Oliver Wyman Group, along with all the businesses of Marsh McLennan, is certified as a CarbonNeutral® company through Climate Impact Partners’ CarbonNeutral Protocol
On March 31, 2022, Marsh McLennan announced a commitment to be net zero across its operations by 2050 and to reduce its emissions by 50% by 2030. The emissions reduction target will be aligned with the Science Based Targets ’ criteria. Read the CESG Report to learn more.