The Singapore International Energy Week (SIEW), organized by the Singapore Energy Market Authority (EMA), is an annual platform for energy professionals, policymakers, and commentators to share best practices and solutions within the global energy space. This year marked the 16th edition of SIEW, which carried the theme “Energy Transition Towards A Net-Zero World”.
The uncertain economic outlook, high energy prices, growing energy demand, and rising emissions continue to pose challenges to global efforts towards a net-zero future. A paradigm shift is needed to sustain the energy transition and galvanize international efforts to respond to the challenges of our time. Our energy systems must continue to evolve and remain adaptable – technological innovation and investments will be crucial to support the development of regional interconnectivity and the electrification of end-users. The infrastructure and resiliency of supply chains must also be strengthened to unlock the full potential of low-carbon alternatives such as hydrogen to manage energy demand in the longer-term.
As a lead up to COP28, SIEW 2023 provided a platform for international energy leaders to discuss pertinent energy transition issues.
Oliver Wyman was proud to be a Singapore-International Energy Agency (IEA) Forum panel sponsor.
Singapore-International Energy Agency (IEA) Forum
October 24, 10:35–11:35 SGT
Panel: Opportunities And Challenges for Net Zero In Southeast Asia
Presented by Oliver Wyman
This session discussed the opportunities and challenges for achieving net zero in Southeast Asia. Esteemed speakers dived deep into pertinent topics, including how the green transition will drive economic growth and clean energy jobs, how Southeast Asia can strengthen its energy supply chains to enhance energy security and advance decarbonization efforts, and how we can transform the economy to drive net-zero-aligned investments in clean energy technologies and develop markets for emerging technologies.
- H.E. Arifin Tasrif, ministry of energy and mineral resources, Republic of Indonesia
- YB Tuan Mohd Rafizi bin Ramli, minister of economy, Malaysia
- Moderator: Abhi Bhuchar, head of Energy and Natural Resources, Asia Pacific, Oliver Wyman
- Hon. Reece Whitby MLA, minister for Environment; Climate Action; Racing and Gaming, Western Australia
- H.E. Felix Fuentebella, undersecretary of Energy, Republic of the Philippines
- Ravi Menon, managing director, Monetary Authority of Singapore
- Darmawan Prasodjo, president director, PT Perusahaan Listrik Negara
- Egon van der Hoeven, APAC vice president, Business Development, ExxonMobil Low Carbon Solutions
- Raymond B. Ravelo, first vice president and chief sustainability officer, Meralco
Takeaways From SIEW 2023: Nicholas Tonkes
Nicholas reveals his observations on the most vital challenges and opportunities in the ongoing global energy transition.