Oliver Wyman Presents Inaugural Women In Healthcare Leadership Award To Amber Cambron, President And CEO Of BlueCare Tennessee
Jan 9, 2019
(New York) In coordination with Oliver Wyman’s Women in Healthcare Leadership research report, the firm created an annual award to recognize an exceptional healthcare leader who has created an environment where women leaders develop and thrive. Oliver Wyman believes that raising awareness on the lack of gender diversity in healthcare leadership is not enough, there must be a broader initiative to create industry change, and those leading the way should be acknowledged.
Based on her impact in driving transformation in healthcare and gender diversity in her organization, along with discussions with her full leadership team and direct reports, we’re honored to present Amber Cambron, President and CEO of BlueCare Tennessee, with our inaugural Women in Healthcare Leadership Award. Over her 30-year career at BlueCross she’s risen through the ranks based on clear, strong performance that earned her the highest level of trust and confidence from her team, peers, employers and the Board of Directors alike.
Notable achievements for Ms. Cambron center on her ability to make a material impact on Tennessee’s most vulnerable and at-risk residents while driving gender parity in her leadership team and the pipeline of talent. Examples are numerous but include:
- BlueCare Tennessee was the first managed care organization in the country to earn recognition from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA ) for its ability to help its members live in their preferred setting and stay connected to their families and communities. Ms. Cambron’s team also was the first to fully implement a text-based communication platform for members. She advocated for this new form of digital support that over 50 percent of BlueCare’s membership have adopted, allowing their care to be more coordinated, effective and ultimately valuable to them.
- Her team is well over 50 percent female as is the pipeline of talent and that diversity speaks volumes to her female development commitment.
- Ms. Cambron and the broader Blue Cross Blue Shield team, have not just clear diversity goals and programs but accountability and a philosophical belief that diversity will drive better performance. The company has been recognized by others as well including Forbes’ Best Employers for Women list and Best Employers for Diversity list, placing as the 2nd highest health insurer.
- Her team frequently recognized her calm and direct approach as a key factor in their confidence to try new things, without fear of failure. Meanwhile, she is known to have built a culture that values people as people, asking the right questions to get to the root of matters with a blend of compassion and directness.
For these reasons and many more, Oliver Wyman is proud to honor Amber Cambron, President and CEO of BlueCare Tennessee, with our first ever Women in Healthcare Leadership Award, which was presented at the StartUp Health Festival held during JP Morgan Healthcare week.
The Oliver Wyman Women in Healthcare Leadership Award is given to a leader who has driven:
- Recognized culture that enables women to develop and thrive
- Meaningful, accountable Inclusion and Diversity efforts
- Flexibility to move around the organization, particularly to P&L role
- Transparency of opportunities
- Openness to women taking on traditionally male roles
- Acceptance of risk taking/stretch opportunities
- Environment where raising problems and how to address them is encouraged
- Programs and mentorship that build the leadership and business experience skills needed for C-Suite
- Personal credibility in developing others and in holding other accountable for diversity and inclusion for women leaders
About Oliver Wyman
Oliver Wyman is a global leader in management consulting. With offices in 50+ cities across nearly 30 countries, Oliver Wyman combines deep industry knowledge with specialized expertise in strategy, operations, risk management, and organization transformation. The firm has more than 5,000 professionals around the world who work with clients to optimize their business, improve their operations and risk profile, and accelerate their organizational performance to seize the most attractive opportunities. Oliver Wyman is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies [NYSE: MMC]. For more information, visit www.oliverwyman.com. Follow Oliver Wyman on Twitter @OliverWyman.