He has particular expertise and passion regarding the development and implementation of growth strategies, building new integrated health management programs that link both provider- and member-facing activities, and helping health plans prepare their product portfolios, distribution strategies, and provider engagement models for the post-reform marketplace.
He has worked across the health insurance and management space on a variety of topics including Group and Individual product development, clinical program design and financial assessment, pay-for-performance strategy, customer experience design, new business models for the Small Group market, and new product innovation. His experience has spanned all market segments (National Accounts, Middle Market, Small Group, Individual, Seniors, Medicaid) and has focused on helping clients grow their top line and margin performance.
- For a large single state Blue Plan, developed, tested, and iterated their post-reform Small Group product portfolio and distribution strategies
- For a Blue Plan, developed a new supplemental product and distribution capability to expand the Plan’s consumer relationship platform
- For a large Blue Plan, developed a clinical program strategy (including both provider and member engagement initiatives) and economic model to evaluate the impact of various health management programs on the Plan’s performance in the commercial / government sectors
- For the largest provider of federal employee health benefits, developed and supported implementation of an enterprise-wide member engagement strategy to enable the plan to produce higher levels of member satisfaction and loyalty while also providing a foundation for greater levels of engagement and benefit cost management in a consumer-choice market.
- For a national health plan, led development of segment-based (Individual, Small Group, Middle Market, National Accounts, Medicare, Medicaid) growth strategies; partnered with senior business unit leadership to complete the market and firm analysis required to develop fact-based market development initiatives.
- For a national health plan, created a small group growth strategy based on new product innovation and attitudinal segmentation of the employer market and broker distribution channel; segmentation strategy enabled better alignment of product strategy with most appropriate purchasers and distribution partners.
Prior to joining Oliver Wyman, Todd led multiple strategic and business development initiatives within the Blues as a senior manager with the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. In that role, he worked with senior Plan executives on a variety of strategic topics including consumer health and wellness tools, Medicare, health informatics, Centers of Excellence program design, and national account strategy.
Todd previously was a Project Leader with Bain & Company, a global strategy consulting firm, where he led consultant teams on C-level growth strategy and cost management projects in multiple industries Todd holds an MBA from the University of Michigan and has a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from Michigan State University.