Charlie is a Partner in Oliver Wyman’s Health & Life Sciences Practice. He also serves as the firm's Boston Metro Leader, responsible for growing our engagement with the local business community.
Charlie's focus areas include business model transformation and new business design creation across the spectrum of consumer engagement, value-based delivery, and the enabling services that will be part of the new healthcare ecosystem.
- For a large regional health system, analyzed the 10-year trajectory of the system’s financial, commercial, and mission sustainability, assessed its vulnerability to changing market dynamics, and identified a portfolio of strategic priorities for medium and longer term repositioning. Led Management and Board review, socialization, and discussion sessions to create understanding and alignment.
- For one of the largest national health insurance organizations, developed a forward-looking, scenario-based planning framework for review and discussion with the Board of Directors. Assessed both current market-shaping dynamics and the potential impact of industry-level disruption on the core business models of the enterprise and the need for strategic hedges against threatening scenarios.
- For a leading national hospital system, defined a transformation roadmap and initial operating model for a move from fee-for-service to fee-for-value – including contracting strategy, network alignment, and care model innovation. Supported the acquisition and integration of a health plan for the purposes of launching provider-specific MA and commercial products in local markets.
- For a regional hospital system and a national managed care organization, supported the conception, structuring, and negotiation of a joint venture agreement as the basis of shared risk, clinical integration, and product commercialization in the local market.
- For a recently merged health services technology solutions organization, led a Management and Board process on solution alignment, portfolio rationalization, and growth investment priorities to support promised financial expectations from the business combination.
- Prior to focusing on the healthcare industry, Charlie led senior level strategy assignments for leading organizations including IBM, Motorola, Honeywell, Time Warner, and Sears – employing lateral and pattern thinking to understand and respond to industry dynamics.
Charlie is a leader of the Oliver Wyman Health Innovation Center and serves as a co-director of the Oliver Wyman Leaders Alliance – an industry collaboration aimed at accelerating innovation across the healthcare landscape.
Charlie has been a thought leader in business model innovation, having written several articles and leading the development of the bestselling business strategy books Value Migration and The Profit Zone.
Charlie holds a BA from Dartmouth College and an MBA from the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University.