- For a leading healthcare delivery outsourcing organization, assessed the opportunity to commercialize a segment-specific EHR software product. Defined the value of the EHR capability as a differentiator within the current delivery outsourcing business model vs. the value in accessing the broader market of EHR buyers. Defined the new capabilities required to undertake a software business
- For a health system that had recently signed a significant risk-based contract, implemented a framework for the management information required to understand and manage risks, identify improvement opportunities associated with new economic levers (leakage, avoidable activity, compliance with evidence-based care), and provider level engagement
- For a major technology solutions organization, characterized the opportunities and required business capabilities for the creation of transformative solutions that would harness big data to deliver superior insights and economics to healthcare delivery. Defined a staged market development strategy that matched current and anticipated buyer behavior rather than hype-driven market expectations
- For a consortium of four pharmaceutical companies, designed and conducted a technology evaluation study aimed at assessing the promise of a new safety testing model that could reduce the use of animal models in toxicity studies
- Charlie’s work in the healthcare analytics software industry provides him with specific expertise in the performance measurement programs that are part of the move to incentive and value based business models. He has worked extensively with the measure sets embedded in programs such as CMS MSSP, HITECH/Meaningful Use, HEDIS, PQRI, and other accountable care contract structures.
Charlie has been a thought leader in business model innovation, having written several articles and leading the development of the bestselling business strategy books Value Migration and The Profit Zone. His work has helped senior leadership teams with significant strategic decisions (M&A, new market entry, etc.) as well as with tactical execution (Product/offer design, marketing effectiveness, sales strategy). Most recently, Charlie has been in leadership and advisory positions in the healthcare industry – working to create innovative new models in pharmaceutical development, healthcare delivery and healthcare IT.
Charlie holds a BA from Dartmouth College and an MBA from the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University.