Esther Becker is the office leader of our actuarial practice in San Francisco, CA. She specializes in reserving for most property and casualty lines of business. Esther has expertise in pricing, modeling and alternative risk financing, as well as international insurance issues for a variety of insurance and self-insured organizations.
Esther has over 20 years of actuarial and insurance experience, both as a corporate and consulting actuary, and underwriter. She has been the lead consultant on numerous reserve analyses and opinions for P&C insurance carriers and corporate clients.
Prior to joining Oliver Wyman, Esther also served as a Regional Actuary and performed pricing, model development, profitability reviews, regulatory filings, systems development, and underwriting guideline setting.
Esther’s professional experiences include
- Evaluation of unpaid claims – actuarial reviews of liabilities for budgeting, financial and regulatory reporting, statement of actuarial opinions
- Pricing and loss forecasts – actuarial analysis to determine loss costs, funding requirements and premiums
- Program optimization – evaluation of optimal combinations of risk transfer and retention as well as alternative program structures
- Cash flow analyses – Forecast of future cash flows due to existing and expected future liabilities
- Allocation studies – design and implementation of programs that allocate the cost of risk across cost centers, operating divisions or group members
- Feasibility studies – actuarial assistance in evaluating alternative risk financing mechanisms
Esther is an Associate of the Casualty Actuarial Society and a Member of the American Academy of Actuaries. She is also a member and former president of Casualty Actuaries of the Bay Area, a CAS regional affiliate.