Oliver Wyman is a trusted advisor to public sector bodies and institutions around the world. Our in-depth knowledge of the financial services industry coupled with strong relationships in every part of the sector means that we offer unrivaled expertise in both strategy and implementation.
Banks and insurers
We serve the world’s largest global and regional banks and insurers in every aspect of their business. As regulation has changed, we’ve continued to expand our knowledge and offering. We now offer services across the spectrum of policy from assisting with government-mandated stress tests, to liquidity crisis management, assessment of payment services and reviews of credit counterparties.
- We supported a major US firm to respond to regulator-driven governance reviews including the role of the board in risk and strategy and the review of policies and recommendations
- We redesigned a group-wide compensation philosophy, governance, measurements and processes for a leading European corporate and investment bank
- We analyzed the aggregate impact of post-Lehman regulations on the Austrian banking sector for an industry association
We have undertaken a variety of work for central banks around the globe, including formulating across policy, financial stability, banks bailouts, governance and organizational effectiveness.
- The Bank of Spain commissioned Oliver Wyman to lead a bottom-up and top-down stress exercise of 14 banks representing 95% of Spanish banks to calculate their capital requirements under base and adverse macro-economic scenarios.
- We project managed the creation of a Special Purpose Vehicle for bad assets (a “bad bank”) for Iceland
- We advised the Federal Reserve Bank of New York on risk governance in light of the fast-evolving nature of risk exposures as result of its response to the financial crisis
We have advised regulators in every region in many areas such as reviews of regulatory architecture, internal structures and approaches; organizational efficiency and effectiveness; how regulators can help firms with compliance requirements through education and outsourcing; Basel II implementation.
- We have helped countries to evaluate and implement new supervisory structures (e.g.Denmark, New Zealand, UAE, UK)
- We have advised supervisory authorities on formulating and evaluating their strategic plans (e.g. Canada, Germany and India)
- We have assisted countries to evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of their supervisory activities (e.g. Australia, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland)
• We regularly train European supervisors within the framework of the European Supervisor Education Initiative on a variety of risk assessment topics
We have supported government treasuries around the world in every aspect of their business, such as analyzing issues relating to the competitiveness of a country’s financial services industry, crisis intervention strategies and the structural integration of multiple regulatory bodies.
- We advised Her Majesty’s Treasury on medium and long-term trends impacting the competitiveness of the global financial industry and their impact on the UK as a financial center
- We assisted a number of jurisdictions on policy options to stimulate the credit creation engine
- We supported the Spanish Fund for Banking Orderly Restructuring in the resolution of a nationalized entity
- We advised a Middle Eastern government on establishing a comprehensive strategy for developing the bond and Sukuk market
We have completed a variety of work for supranational institutions and have a strong understanding of the challenges and issues in financial services both globally and regionally. Our extensive knowledge of the intricacies of policy in financial services ranges from compensation regulation and implementation, to retail collections and responses to Solvency II proposals.
- The Financial Stability Board commissioned Oliver Wyman to partner with a working group consisting of the Financial Services Authority, the Bundesbank, the Federal Reserve Board and nine other regulatory bodies to survey industry approaches to senior executive compensation
- We advise the European Commission on state aid matters in financial services
- We advise industry associations on regulatory impact assessments (e.g. the European Insurance Association about the impact of Solvency II )
- A New Paradigm
- Too Big To Fail: The Path to a Solution
- Enhanced Prudential Standards for Foreign Banking Organizations
- Revisions Bring Further Clarity to the Impact of Basel and IOSCO Margin Rules
- Fed Proposes Major Shift in Regulation of Foreign Banks