Tom is a Partner and U.S. Market Leader for Oliver Wyman’s Health and Life Sciences Practice. He focuses on issues of strategy, healthcare reform, and is an industry leader on designing and driving innovation into the health benefits, management and delivery markets. Tom works with Senior Executives and Boards across the marketplace and is a frequent speaker at key industry events.
- For Oliver Wyman, designed and developed a new health management and delivery value chain model focused on improving affordability, quality and access to healthcare—positioned this new intellectual capital platform to lead healthcare reform discussions with major industry leaders across the health plan, health technology and provider markets.
- For a major health insurer, led the strategy development, Board approval process and strategic transformation of the organization from the benefits and administration business model to a new Integrated Health Management model—repositioning the health plan to compete on the cost and quality of care.
- For a leading provider-focused health information technology organization (electronic health records), led the development of the long term strategy, repositioned the organization to drive clinical change through electronic health records and evidence based medicine and gained Board approval to merge the organization with another scale player to drive needed market consolidation.
- For one of the nation’s largest hospital system, developed a provider-led health management strategy and specifically designed a new oncology management model resulting in significant improvements in quality, outcomes, and patient satisfaction with a corresponding reduction in total costs.
- For Oliver Wyman, designed and established an industry CEO collaborative on Integrated Health Management—working with a dozen health plan CEOs on critical innovations and investments required to make healthcare and benefits more affordable with significantly better quality and access.
- For a global biotechnology firm, led the design and commercialization strategy for new genomic diagnostics for multiple disease states—through the lens of clinical pathway changes and impacts on the cost and quality of care. Worked with the global biotechnology firm to reposition health plan funding and adoption of genomic testing with major U.S. health plans.
- For the Nation’s largest inpatient rehabilitation services provider, led the organization’s leadership team through the development of a long term strategy and defined both the clinical differentiation playbook and the corresponding commercialization process required to grow share and margin at above market rates.
- For the leading payer-focused health information technology company—led the design and development of the organization’s long term strategy, positioning the company to enable health plans’ required value chain shifts and to monetize the solutions. Worked with the leadership team and Board to reposition the company in the market, leading to accelerated growth and market share capture.
Tom also led strategy and acquisitions for Aetna before founding and leading ChapterHouse, a nationally known management consultancy focused primarily on the health services marketplace. ChapterHouse joined forces with Oliver Wyman in the summer of 2008.
Tom holds a B.A. in business from Miami University of Ohio and an M.B.A. from Northern Illinois University.