He is an author of several recent Oliver Wyman points of view, including A Billion-Dollar Decision: Charting a New Course for US Healthcare Benefits and Private Exchanges Change the Game. Sam also leads many of Oliver Wyman’s healthcare commercialization research and intellectual capital development efforts.
Sam has been invited to speak at a number of events for healthcare senior executives and board members, including the American Hospital Association (AHA) Leadership Summit, the AHA Center for Healthcare Governance Symposium, the Council on Employee Benefits Annual Conference, the Accountable Care Congress, the Integrated Healthcare Association annual board retreat, the CAPG Healthcare Conference, the Leadership Institute roundtable, and the UnitedHealth Group Smart Circle series. He is quoted regularly in both the industry and popular press.
Sam’s recent experience includes:
- For a top-ten health system, led a multi-year reorganization, including new function design, executive transition planning, and complex stakeholder management
- For a major healthcare plan, developed its private exchange roadmap, focusing on multi-year channel prioritization by segment
- For a leading wellness services provider, developed its next-generation strategy, including new go-to-market models and services
- For a retail pharmacy chain, supported the launch of a new business model to engage at-risk patients and capture value-based revenue
- For a major multinational looking to enter the employer health space, conducted detailed strategic due diligence on a number of potential business designs, including wellness and population management services
- For a leading oncology company, developed its first branded patient navigation support program
- For a Top 10 pharma company, developed its direct-to-employer strategy
- For a Fortune 10 employer, developed a new value-based care and direct provider contracting strategy
Previously, Sam was in the high-tech strategy practice at Accenture. Prior to that, he led global business strategy, new offer development, merger, acquisition, and divestiture activities at Mercer. He also spent six years as the founder and chief executive of Algebra Online, a web-based educational services business.
Sam received his BA with honors in economics from Pomona College, and was a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar and North American Postgraduate Scholar in the MSc program in economics at the University of Warwick. He chairs the Pomona College Board of Trustees.