Oliver Wyman’s Aviation practice helps passenger and cargo carriers, as well as OEMs and independent parts manufacturers, develop value growth strategies, improve operations, optimize yield, and maximize organizational effectiveness. We serve our global clients with partners in Asia, North America, Europe, and the Middle East.
Aviation, Aerospace & Defense
Oliver Wyman helps passenger and cargo carriers, OEM and parts manufacturers, aerospace/defense companies, airports, and MRO and other service providers develop value growth strategies, improve operations, and maximize organizational effectiveness. Our deep industry expertise and our specialized capabilities in the areas of Lean Six Sigma Enterprise Transformation and Transaction Services & Litigation Support make Oliver Wyman a leader in serving the needs of the Aviation, Aerospace & Defense industry. Also, Oliver Wyman offers a powerful suite of analytical tools to manipulate reliable and enhanced aviation data to drive key business insights through PlaneStats.com.
Aerospace & Defense
Oliver Wyman helps leading Aerospace & Defense firms develop value growth strategies, improve operations, and maximize organizational effectiveness. Our work in this sector is timely because manufacturers, governments, and operators are all in the midst of fundamental overhauls of their strategies and business models.
- Developed a Lean Enterprise Transformation roadmap for a Tier 1 aerospace component manufacturer
- Evaluated a global aerospace corporation's strategic position across major business units and markets
- Devised a modern manufacturing plan and realigned product families for an aerospace component supplier
- Conducted market analysis of European civil aerospace markets for an aerospace and defense conglomerate
Oliver Wyman is an industry leader in assisting passenger and cargo carrier MRO operations, OEMs, and independent MROs in improving operational performance, executing transformational cost improvement programs, developing and implementing value growth strategies, identifying and exploiting new market opportunities, and realizing organizational transformations.
- Conducted MRO market evaluation and strategy for North American airline MRO
- Developed integrated materials management and engine maintenance program for Engine OEM
- Created maintenance centers of excellence for Far East airline as part of enterprise operations reconfiguration
- Conducted a major Lean Six Sigma project for International cargo carrier to increase asset utilization
Oliver Wyman helps airport operators and major suppliers develop value growth strategies, improve operations, and maximize organizational effectiveness. We help our clients manage change that is driven by the emergence of low-cost airlines, new airport revenue models, privatization, regulation, customer requirements, security, government fees, and fuel costs.
- Supported the restructuring of three airports; developed a privatization strategy for a large European airport
- Assessed organization, including staffing levels and in-house vs. contracted operations, for U.S. passenger airport
- Evaluated potential sites for the development of a new “Greenfield” airport in Latin America
- Developed comprehensive strategy for Asian airport operator; determined the appropriate business portfolio
Travel & Hospitality
Oliver Wyman's Travel & Hospitality practice helps the world's leading travel companies and international hotel chains develop value growth strategies, improve operational performance, and define and deliver significant organizational change. We serve our global clients with partners in Asia, North America, and Europe.
- Developed the case for change for an international multi-branded hotel chain’s next generation revenue management and reservations platform
- Developed a standardized "hotel operating model" for one of the world’s largest multi-brand hotel chains
- Assessed the benefits and risks of a new organizational structure for an international hotel chain, program managing its subsequent implementation delivering a step change reduction in operating costs
- Created the brand positioning, name, logo and identity for Hyatt Place
Our industry and client experiences reveal a crucial barrier to breakthrough operating performance. Many leaders do not fully understand the power of a Lean Six Sigma Enterprise Transformation as a strategic business initiative. In many instances, executives unknowingly adopt a "Kaizen" approach (continuous incremental improvement) that is suitable when applied tactically to a product line, function, or organization that is mature and stable. This approach rarely delivers against senior management expectations regarding cost performance, speed, or capacity growth.
Our approach to Lean Six Sigma is designed to produce radical change or improvements ("Kaikaku"). This transformational approach encompasses the entire value stream and addresses the financial, operational, and cultural aspects required for large-scale improvements. It is best suited for companies facing major new growth opportunities, intense cost pressures, or turnaround situations. The methodology comprises:
- Lean Diagnostic: In addition to identifying “quick hits” that can offer immediate savings, we conduct a technical and cultural assessment of the enterprise, determine the opportunity, and develop a Lean transformation roadmap. Best practice analysis and benchmarking often provide insight during this phase.
- Lean Roadmap: The combined client/Oliver Wyman team begins detailed development and aggressive deployment of the Lean transformation roadmap and initiatives.
- Pilot and Implement: Identify high-impact pilot area, implement Lean Six Sigma process, monitor results, and capture lessons learned. Horizontally deploy across the rest of the organization.
- Sustain Performance Improvement: Concurrently with Performance Enhancement, we assist the client in developing an organizational infrastructure and culture that will support and advance its Lean Six Sigma Enterprise Transformation journey.
Lean Six Sigma Improvement Tools
We offer our clients training and education on the appropriate Lean Six Sigma tools and techniques that can be applied to address a specific operational issue or as part of an overall Lean Six Sigma Enterprise Transformation effort.
- Value Stream and Process Mapping
- Cross-Functional Mapping
- Hoshin Planning
- Pull Systems
- Kaizen Events
- Standard Work
- Visual Controls
- Practical Problem Solving
- Gage R&R (MSA)
- Process Capability
- Graphical Analysis
- Data Collection Plan
- Hypothesis Testing
- Multiple Regression
- Design of Experiments
- Statistical Process Control
- Control Charts
- Project Chartering
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Balanced Scorecard (Flow down)
- Voice of the Customer - Kano
- Competitive Benchmarking
- Survey Design/Analysis
- Change Management Tools
- Effective Communication
- New Product & Service Introduction
- Scoping Documents
- Running Effective Meetings
- Gantt Charts
- Project Tracking Databases
- Technology Roadmaps
- Return On Investment/ROR
- Control Plans
- Project Transition
Oliver Wyman's Corporate Finance and Restructuring practice assists clients in the pre-transaction phase of investment and in remediation of investments or policies post-transaction.
Oliver Wyman Transaction Services provides Broker-Dealer support, as required. Oliver Wyman Transaction Services, a division of MMC Securities Corp., member NASD/SIPC. Main Office: 1166 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036. Phone: 201-284-3614.
Oliver Wyman's advisory services in the pre-transaction phase include:
- Investment thesis development and validation
- Market scanning and sizing
- Competitive landscape assessment
- Due diligence (for investors) and reverse due diligence (for those seeking to raise capital) services
- Underlying asset valuation, including aircraft, railcar, trailer, and locomotive fleet assets
- Term sheet development, including analytic support and negotiation approach
- Expert testimony regarding the impact of a proposed transaction for Regulatory and Oversight bodies
For hedge funds and private equity firms, Oliver Wyman assists their portfolio companies in the following ways:
- Portfolio assessment. We have broad and deep knowledge of various sectors, including Aviation, Airport, MRO, Communications, Information Technology, Entertainment, Retail, Energy portfolio companies
- Operational improvement, including Lean Six Sigma Enterprise Transformation
- Strategic Sourcing and Contract Negotiation
- Remediation of exposure to aviation-specific risk, including litigation support
- Ongoing asset valuation, including aircraft, railcar, trailer, and locomotive fleet assets