Backed by its years of experience, Oliver Wyman acts as a trusted adviser to companies and investors as they take on the challenges of strategic, operational and financial restructuring. In the process, we place a particularly high priority on developing sustainable restructuring concepts that address both the market and competitive environment as well as specific factors for success. Oliver Wyman acts as a coordinator for restructuring processes, as an objective expert and a neutral third party who provides quantitatively supported advice to address the interests of management, shareholders, lenders and other stakeholders. With more than three decades of experience in strategic, operational, and financial restructuring, Oliver Wyman offers a complete management solution and "one-stop-shop" approach to turning around companies.
Oliver Wyman's contribution to restructuring projects
Independent business reviews (IBR)
When an outside-in assessment of a company in distress is required, Oliver Wyman can leverage its deep industry expertise and extensive restructuring experience to identify risks and opportunities for a company, which are then used to assess business plan revenues, profits and cash flows. Special attention is paid to the viability of the business design and the ability of the company to win against its competitors.
Using benchmarks and best practices from industry peers and building upon our toolbox of methods to achieve operational excellence, we also give concrete recommendations on how to improve profitability and liquidity—often even beyond what was planned in the original business plan.
Hence, our IBRs are not only formal reviews but create real value for the company going forward.
Development of restructuring concepts
In devising its sustainably successful restructuring approaches to a client situation, Oliver Wyman draws on its deep base of knowledge about market trends and specific success factors, its far-reaching expertise about operational excellence methodologies as well as its solid grasp of the needs and options of various financial sponsors (i.e., equity/borrowed capital). We take an integrated approach in this work. Our restructuring concepts are based on four pillars:
- Strategic repositioning: The focus is placed on core markets and potentially profitable business fields. Business operations that destroy value will be closed or divested.
- Value-focused business model: Using our approach called value-driven business design, we optimize such business drivers as a company's customer, product and technology portfolio, define core skills and bring the organization into alignment with the strategy.
- Operational excellence: The focus here is placed on lean organizations and processes. In particular, this work is aimed at simplifying production networks and increasing efficiency and effectiveness by applying such methodologies as LEAN and Six Sigma. In addition, purchasing and the entire supply chain are optimized.
- Financial restructuring: On the basis of the strategic repositioning work, the value-focused business model and operational-excellence programs, we determine liquidity needs and the requirements for a sound capital structure through the use of integrated financial planning. This creates the foundation for a financing concept that optimally weighs the interests and decision-making freedom of all participating parties.
Methodological and professional assistance with implementation
Oliver Wyman has a broad base of knowledge about industries and methodologies that it uses to help carry out restructuring projects in a quantitatively-based and methodical manner. This includes:
- Strategy & Growth
- Sales Efficiency
- R&D Productivity
- Production Optimization
- Lean Management
- Procurement & Supply Chain
- IT & Operations
- Organization & Processes
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Program management and communication
Careful monitoring of the project's implementation is the key to its success. Another vital step is to keep all stakeholders up to date about the status of implementation and to transparently report potential problems. This enables barriers to implementation to be identified at an early stage and then removed. Oliver Wyman assists with the implementation of restructuring programs in a number of ways, including:
- Monitoring of the implementation and the achievement of planned improvements—using a web-based program-management tool if necessary.
- Regular reports to management, owners and financial stakeholders about the latest business performance (sales, earnings, liquidity) as well as the implementation status of the project, potential problems and necessary responses.
- Ongoing liquidity management (including rolling liquidity projections, liquidity-bolstering steps and potential problems).
- Support of communications activities about the restructuring program within the company and to external stakeholders.